Monday, July 17, 2006

Trivia Critic

On Friday we went to a Trivia Night, a fundraiser for one of the local kindergatens. We came in at about middle of the bunch. It was fun, but I couldn't help but judge the questions and categories. For instance one of the categories, which we actually chose as one of our double point rounds, was 'Politics, Royalty and Celebrities'. Surely all three of these should be able to stand on their own, especially since I did a Politics minor at uni and am known to base my obsessions around royalty and celebrities. At least I knew the answer within 0.2 seconds to "How old was Marilyn Monroe when she died?" (The answer of course is 36). Now I want to host a trivia night for my birthday, all questions written by me. Start studying your history books now.

Speaking of history books, the content they cover and my obsessions, the best part of my weekend was coming across a stall at the shopping centre that sold videos of old movies and rare titles you can never find. I could have taken them all home - Chinatown, Bonnie and Clyde, Raging Bull, basically every movie you'd cover if studying American filmmaking in the 1970s, or watching one of my favourite documentaries, A Decade Under the Influence: American Filmmaking in the 1970s (duh). However, I was stopped dead in my tracks when I came across Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will, and the (1976) tv movie version of Vincent Bugliosi's book Helter Skelter. It would take me days to describe what these two films mean to me and why and how. In short, I studied Triumph of the Will briefly at uni in my War and Propaganda course. Plus I'm a collector and a history/war buff so it will take pride of place in my collection.

Now on to something creative. These are my newest fabrics, purchased Saturday. I let my mum line up to get them cut while I was looking for felts, and she mistakenly bought 2 metres of the blue and one of the green, when it should be the other way around given that green is my favourite colour. I have no plans for any of it, except maybe something for Fergus again with the blue dinosaur material - a bargain at 50c. I also got some craft wadding, and I am thinking of using it to do a fancy cushion cover. That will have to wait though until I'm feeling that ambitious.



I now have this project to complete too - re-covering my grandma's bar stools. Now that she and my poppy will be moving into a newly built house on a canal, with it's own boat jetty, the bright orange is no longer suitable. So this fabric matches the dining chairs I already did, and will make it all pretty.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

politics, royalty and celebrities placed in one category? who does that!? i would have been annoyed by that too. i love trivia, regardless of what form it is in, unless i know none of the answers. i suspect i would have done terribly with the above-mentioned category, but i'm glad you did well.

a trivia night for your birthday sounds like an awesome idea. i will have to participate via email or msn.

as for your video finds, i am going to email you later to express my extreme jealousy.

love you heaps.
xo

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home